About the 3 by 5 Strategy
WHO is moving urgently towards achieving the target: to deliver antiretroviral therapy (ART) to 3 million people with HIV/AIDS living in developing countries before the end of 2005. It has devised a five pillar strategy:
1. Develop Global Leadership, Alliances And Advocacy
- Advocate for funding, together with UNAIDS and other partners, raising money for drugs, training and strengthening country health services.
- Commit hundreds of personnel at the country level to the 3 by 5.
- Publish, with UNAIDS, ethical guidelines promoting equity and human rights in ART.
2. Provide Urgent, Sustained Country Support
- Provide emergency response teams for high burden countries, as requested by the country, to assess need and help define 3 by 5 targets.
- Encourage national political commitment for 3 by 5.
- Work with national governments to strengthen health systems to respond to the crisis.
- Start the emergency expansion of Training with a goal to train 100 000 professional and lay staff.
- Strengthen Physical Resources like laboratories and testing equipment.
3. Simplify Standardized Tools and Assure Quality
- Establish uniform standards and simplified tools to track ART.
- Identify multiple entry points for treatment, including TB and reproductive health programs, NGO’s, faith-based organizations and other potential providers of antiretroviral therapy.
- Simplify Treatment Regimes and Guidelines for antiretroviral therapy.
4. Create An Effective, Reliable Supply Of Medicines And Diagnostics
- Establish an AIDS Medicines and Diagnostics Service to assist countries to secure uninterrupted access to appropriately priced, quality, antiretrovirals and diagnostics.
- Disseminate information on legal and regulatory issues, prices and sources.
- Develop and distribute technical tools for supply and demand forecasting, procurement, quantification, and supply-chain management.
- Continue the pre-qualification of manufacturers and products.
- Assist buyers to obtain best prices for individual or pooled demand.
- Arrange for targeted technical and operational support to countries.
5. Rapidly Identifying And Reapplying New Knowledge And Successes
- Establish global communication systems to share progress and experience.
- Document early successes and share them with all partners.
- Develop and carry-out an appropriate operational research agenda.
- Build a situation room to track progress towards 3 by 5 Milestones.