Reference Number: ISBN 92 4 1591137
This document outlines a strategic plan for WHO to support the development, strengthening and
sustaining of the workforce necessary to radically scale up and maintain antiretroviral treatment. The
strategic approach is based on the understanding that achieving this goal critically depends on joint
efforts between communities, countries and international organizations. It builds on the experience of
successful capacity-building efforts and harnesses existing expertise to strengthen training capacity at
the regional and country level in the context of an emergency response.
The proposed plan identifies five elements that are critical for building and sustaining human capacity for
the 3 by 5 target at the point of service delivery:
- making available simple and appropriate training programmes on key competencies for antiretroviral
- designing country-specific approaches to training and human resource development;
- providing targeted technical assistance for rolling out training programmes;
- developing training certification and quality control mechanisms; and
- ensuring the availability of sufficient funds for implementing training.
Download PDF file in English (22 pages, 452kb)