Licensing WHO classifications
- ICD-10: International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th Revision
- ICD-O: International Classification of Diseases for Oncology
- ICF: International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health
- ICF-CY: International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health for Children and Youth
WHO encourages the development of software tools and applications using WHO classifications for use by the wider medical community, as long as those products provide a range of functions, including search and retrieval of classification terms. We do not permit the simple redistribution of the classification data or the development of tools for coding diagnoses.
Licensing WHO classifications for commercial use
WHO is able to issue commercial licences to companies wishing to incorporate and distribute WHO classifications in their software products for sale to customers in certain countries.
- The licence is non-exclusive, non-transferable and time limited.
- The licence authorizes the use of the codes and descriptions in a product that will be sold to customers and distributed to specific countries.
- Licensees are not permitted to modify, translate or amend the codes or descriptions of the classification in any way.
- There should be no suggestion of endorsement of the product or the company by WHO.
Companies wishing to obtain a commercial licence are asked to complete the following application form so that the proposed use of the classifications and the type of product are evaluated:
Licensing WHO classifications for internal use within your organization
WHO is able to issue internal licences to organisations wishing to incorporate WHO classifications into their internal information systems for use by employees for use for administrative purposes eg. health records management.
Companies wishing to obtain an internal licence are asked to provide the following information and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name and address of organization.
- Name and job title of person signing the licence.
- A short summary of the intended use of WHO classifications within your organisation's information systems. Please include a selection of screen shots from the product that illustrate how WHO classifications is used in the product. This information will not be used by WHO for any purpose other than compiling data on the use of WHO classifications and shall not be transmitted outside of WHO.
- Number of concurrent users accessing WHO classifications within your organization.
Licensing WHO classifications for non-commercial use
If your organization is planning to use WHO classifications for non-commercial or research purposes, then you may qualify for a licence for non-commercial research use.