Independent Oversight and Advisory Committee for the WHO Health Emergencies Programme
The Director-General has established an Independent Oversight and Advisory Committee for the WHO Health Emergencies Programme (the Programme), to provide oversight and monitoring of the development and performance of the Programme and to guide the Programme’s activities.
The Committee will advise the Director-General on issues within its mandate, and will report its findings through the WHO Executive Board to the World Health Assembly. Reports of the Committee will also be shared with the Secretary General of the United Nations and with the United Nations’ Inter-Agency Standing Committee.
Terms of Reference
The main functions of the Committee are to:
- assess the performance of the Programme’s key functions in health emergencies;
- determine the appropriateness and adequacy of the Programme’s financing and resourcing;
- provide advice to the Director-General;
- review the Programme’s reports on WHO’s actions in health emergencies;
- review reports on the state of health security developed by the Director-General for submission to the World Health Assembly through the Executive Board and to the United Nations General Assembly; and
- prepare an annual report on its activities, conclusions, recommendations and, where necessary, interim reports, for submission by the Chair of the Committee to the World Health Assembly through the WHO Executive Board.
The Committee consists of 8 members drawn from national governments, nongovernmental organizations, and the UN system, with extensive experience in broad range of disciplines, including public health, infectious disease, humanitarian crises, public administration, emergency management, community engagement, partnerships and development. Members serve in their personal capacity and will exercise their responsibilities with full regard for the paramount importance of independence.
Members of the Independent Oversight and Advisory Committee are:
- Dr Felicity Harvey CBE; Visiting Professor, Institute of Global Health Innovation, Imperial College London
- Dr Michael J Ryan; Senior Advisor, Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI), National Emergency Operations Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan