Application form to join the WHO Global Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities
Please note: applications to the Network are processed quarterly in February, May, August and November, not on a rolling basis. You will receive an automatic confirmation of your city or community's application upon submission.
To join the Network, cities must:
- Complete this online application form.
- Attach to this form a letter from the Mayor and municipal administration indicating their commitment to the Network cycle of continual improvement.
- Commence the Network cycle of four steps outlined below:
1. Establishment of mechanisms to involve older people throughout the Age-friendly Cities and Communities cycle
Cities and communities are also encouraged to build partnerships with government and civil society (including NGOs and academic institutions).
2. Development of a baseline assessment of the age-friendliness of the city/community
Note: This assessment can be flexible to take into account the diversity of cities and communities, however at a minimum, it needs to consider each of the eight domains identified in the WHO Age-friendly Cities Guide available at:
- outdoor spaces and buildings,
- social participation,
- respect and social inclusion,
- civic participation and employment,
- communication and information, and
- community support and health services.
3. Development of a 3-year city-wide action plan based on the findings of this assessment
If possible, the plan will link to other municipal instruments to ensure that age-friendliness becomes a core responsibility for all municipal departments.