Research and Synthesis
The Alliance HPSR is currently funding and supporting the following projects under this area of work.
- The Identification of Priority Research Questions
- Establishing Centres for Systematic Reviews of Health Policy and Systems Research in the South
- The impact of global health initiatives on health systems
The Alliance Biennal Review (2004) noted that in 2001 only 5% of the publications on health policy and systems research in peer-reviewed journals were on low and middle income countries. Furthermore, many of these publications were produced by researchers from industrialized countries. Due to significant funding and capacity constraints, health policy and systems studies are not always conducted to a high standard.
The Alliance is focusing on the following strategies to overcome such problems:
- increasing resources to fund original empirical health policy and systems research through defining research questions in priority areas and promoting rigorous evaluation of interventions for strengthening health systems;
- funding synthesis teams in the South and supporting the development of systematic reviews and systematic review methodology.