In Malawi, onchocerciasis is present in the southern part of the country.
People affected by onchocerciasis
- Number of communities in meso/hyper endemic (red) areas (2006): 2186
- Total population in meso/hyper endemic (red) areas (2006): 1 774 315
- Number of current community-directed treatment with ivermectin (CDTI) projects (2007): 2
- Date first community-directed treatment with ivermectin (CDTI) project was launched: 1997
- Number of national onchocerciasis task force (NOTF)-secretariat supported projects: 0
- Number of vector elimination projects: 0
NOTF-secretariat supported project is based at national level and is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all CDTI projects in the country and ensuring the availability of ivermectin.
- More about CDTI projects
- More about NOTF-secretariat supported projects
- More about vector elimination projects
Geographical coverage (2007)
- Number of communities treated with ivermectin: 2 186
- Treatment target (number of communities, 2006): 2 186
- Geographic coverage (2006): 100%
Therapeutic coverage (2007)
- Number of people treated with ivermectin: 1 546 433
- Treatment target (number of people): 1 865 473
- Therapeutic coverage: 82.9%
- Number of trained or retrained community-directed distributors, CDDs (2007): 7 217
- Number of people per community-directed distributor, CDD (2007): 258
- Number of trained or retrained health workers (2007): 1 612
Projects are funded from three primary sources:
- the APOC Trust Fund
- the government of the country where the projects are being implemented
- funds from non-governmental development organization partners.
International non-governmental development organization (NGDO) partners (2007):
- International Eye Foundation (IEF).