Archives on the Construction of the Headquarters building
- Reference code : ARC017
- Title : Records relating to the Construction of the Headquarters Building
- Date(s) : 1950->
- Level of description : Fonds
- Extent and medium : 13 linear m, paper
- Accruals : Yes
- Conditions governing access : Open for consultation subject to the deadlines and restrictions in force at WHO
- Conditions governing reproduction : The archives are subject to WHO author's copyright.
- Finding aids : Electronic inventory
- Rules or conventions : Descriptive note in conformity with ISAD(G) norm
This fonds, which covers an area outside the traditional framework of WHO activities, is of particular interest from the architectural angle. In 1959, the World Health Assembly launched an international competition for the construction of a building for WHO, which had so far been housed in the Palais des Nations.
This fonds include plans, photographs and documents relating to the competition, ranging from participants' projects to the actual completion of the building by the winner, Jean Tschumi, and his successor, Pierre Bonnard.