Archives of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA)
- Reference code : ARC002
- Titre : Records of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA)
- Date(s) : 1943-1946
- Level of description : Fonds
- Extent and medium : 2 linear cm, microfilms
- Accruals : No
- Conditions governing access : Open for consultation in accordance with the deadlines and restrictions in force at WHO
- Conditions governing reproduction : The archives are subject to WHO author's copyright.
- Finding aids : Paper inventory
- Existence and location of originals : Most of the archives are kept at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Rules or conventions : Descriptive notice in conformity with ISAD(G) norm
At the first session of the Council of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, (UNRRA) held in 1943, it was agreed that health work would be one of its primary and fundamental responsibilities. In addition to combating epidemics and administering the international sanitary conventions, UNRRA's Health Division had to provide essential medical supplies and assisted a number of governments to rebuild and improve their health services.
UNRRA was dissolved under the Protocol provided for UNRRA in the Arrangements signed in New York on 22 July 1946. The functions entrusted to UNRRA by the International Sanitary Convention of 1944 and the International Sanitary Convention for Aerial Navigation of 1944 were transferred to the Interim Commission of WHO on 1 December 1946.
This fonds consists of microfilm copies of the UNRRA material related to the activities of the country missions responsible to its European Regional Office in London. The major part of UNRRA Archives is stored at the Headquarters of the United Nations in New York.