In 2005, a project was designed to gather the testimonies of distinguished former staff members in order to build up WHO's collective memory and make these historic resources available to researchers.
The main goals of the project are:
- to document historic experience which tends to be overlooked by written sources
- to show past experience and views in a different light
- to bring people back into the present, while preserving their personality and the sound of their voice
- to gather spontaneous and informal impressions.
The result of these interviews includes different elements, which are then included in the WHO archives:
- a biography of the interviewee
- the sound document from the interview
- a written transcript of the interview
- a few photographs of the person