Quality Management Project
The Quality Management Project (QMP) was launched in 2000 under the auspices of World Health Day, dedicated to the theme of blood safety with the slogan "Safe Blood Starts With Me – Blood Saves Lives". The project addresses the need to adopt the principles of quality management in all areas of blood transfusion services (BTSs) and has been developed as an innovative initiative designed to build capacity in quality management for blood transfusion services at global level.
Global endorsement and support for the QMP were obtained from the WHO regions and experts from developed and developing countries. The QMP is intended to be a long-term project with effective cooperation and collaboration of experts and international organizations involved in quality management of BTSs.
Objectives of QMP
The project aims to assist blood transfusion services and national authorities in all WHO Member States to implement effective quality systems through:
- Development of regional and national capacity in quality management;
- Identification and strengthening of regional quality training centres;
- Development of advocacy and training materials on quality management;
- Training of facilitators;
- Training of quality managers in well-structured Quality Management Training (QMT) courses of 18 days duration;
- Establishment of External Quality Assessment Schemes for blood group serology and TTIs;
- Development of a monitoring and evaluation system for the provision of post-training support and follow-up;
- Creation of effective quality networks.
Quality Management Project for blood transfusion services: enhancing the safety of the global blood supply: information sheet