Recent news from WHO
- A new WHO report on government measures against interpersonal violence was released 16 July. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2007/9789241595476_eng.pdf
- Parties to WHO’s Framework Convention on Tobacco Control decided during the week of 6 July to begin negotiating a protocol on illicit trade of tobacco products and adopt guidelines stipulating 100% smoke-free public places and workplaces.
- A new WHO strategy to eliminate Chagas disease by 2010 was launched 4 July.
- New 2006 estimates on adult HIV prevalence in India based on an expanded surveillance system were released 6 July.
- A six-day Codex Alimentarius Commission meeting opened 2 July attended by representatives from more than 100 countries, during which new measures to ensure safer powdered infant formulae and hygienic egg production were discussed.
- Results from Phase I of the WHO Research Into Global Hazards of Travel (WRIGHT) project were released 29 June. Available at: http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/wright_project/phase1_report/en/index.html
- WHO-based tropical disease research programme approves operational plan June 22 to implement new strategy to prevent and control infectious diseases of poverty.
- WHO and the Stop TB Partnership published and launched a two-year response plan to prevent hundreds of thousands of cases of drug-resistant tuberculosis on 22 June.
For more about these and other WHO news items please see: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/2007/en/index.html