Revised cholera kits
For several years, agencies supporting preparedness and response to cholera outbreaks have supplied medicines and medical devices through the Interagency Diarrhoeal Disease Kits (IDDK).
In an effort to better align the presentation and content of the kits to field needs, the composition of the cholera kits has been reviewed by WHO and its partners. The content of all modules have been updated and reorganised to be better adapted for field use in different settings.
The revised cholera kits are designed to help prepare for a potential cholera outbreak and to support the first month of the initial response. The overall package consists of six different kits, each divided in several modules. The kits and modules can each be ordered separately.
- 3 kits are designed for the treatment of cholera patients within existing structures at the central, peripheral and community levels.
- 1 kit provides the necessary material to set-up a provisional structure for patient care when no existing structure is in place.
- 2 kits list the equipment needed for the investigation of cholera outbreaks and for the laboratory confirmation of suspected cholera cases.
Cholera kit calculation tool
- This tool provides a quick and simple way to calculate and subsequently order the new cholera kits and modules.
- The tool is best suited to estimate needs relating to cholera preparedness.
- The tool uses pre-defined scenarios based on available population data, pre-defined attack rates as well as the number of health care facilities available. It will help to calculate the number of mandatory essential kits for a cholera response; the number of complementary modules if necessary, including the number of cholera beds as well as estimations on costs for goods and freight from supplier till the port of entry in a particular country.
An introductory section will guide you through the new Cholera Kit Calculation tool.
- WHO programmes and Regional Offices, Country Programmes, UNAIDS: the cholera kits can be ordered using a catalogue GSM requisition
- Non-WHO entities: please contact WHO Procurement Services at firstname.lastname@example.org , stating” Cholera kits” in the subject of the message. WHO Procurement Services will provide guidance for a direct procurement.