Joint WHO/UNICEF statement for cholera vaccine use in tsunami-affected areas
Decision-making process for OCV use/deployment
- Request for OCV use should be initiated by the Ministry of Health of the country.
- The decision for deployment of OCV should be taken by an Advisory Panel which will base its decision upon analysis of a set of prerequisites. Terms of reference of the Advisory Panel are similar to the ones of the ICG3 . The Advisory Panel consists of:
- WHO Headquarters: Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; Global Task Force on cholera control; Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response (CSR)/Alert and Response Operations (ARO)/Epidemic Readiness and Interventions (ERI)
- WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia and the WHO Representative
- UNICEF Headquarters and UNICEF Regional Office
- Advice and guidance for implementation of the mass vaccination campaign using OCV will be provided through the WHO Global Task Force on Cholera Control.
3ICG: Interagency Coordinating Group for deployment of meningitis vaccines