Joint WHO/UNICEF statement for typhoid vaccine use in tsunami-affected areas
Decision-making process for use/deployment of typhoid vaccines
- Request for typhoid vaccine use should be initiated by the Ministry of Health of the country.
- The decision for deployment of typhoid vaccines should be taken by an Advisory Panel which will base its decision upon analysis of a set of prerequisites. Terms of reference of the Advisory Panel are similar to the ones of the ICG2. The Advisory Panel consists in :
- WHO Headquarters: Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals; Global Task Force on cholera control
- WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia and the WHO Representative
- UNICEF Headquarters and UNICEF Regional Office
- Advice and guidance for implementation of the mass vaccination campaign using typhoid vaccines will be provided through the WHO Global Task Force on Cholera Control.
2ICG: Interagency Group for deployment of meningitis vaccines