What can I do?
- How can I protect myself from influenza A (H1N1)?
- How do I care for an ill person at home?
- What should I do if I think I have the illness?
- What should I do if I need medical attention?
Practice general preventive measures for influenza:
- Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and have fever and cough.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often.
- Practice good health habits including adequate sleep, eating nutritious food, and keeping physically active.
- Separate the ill person from others, at least 1 meter in distance from others.
- Cover your mouth and nose when caring for the ill person. Either commercial or homemade materials are fine, as long as they are disposed of or cleaned properly after use.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after each contact with the ill person.
- Improve the air flow where the ill person stays. Use doors and windows to take advantage of breezes.
- Keep the environment clean with readily available household cleaning agents.
If you are living in a country where there are infections follow additional advice from your national and local health authorities.
If you feel unwell, have high fever, cough or sore throat:
- Stay at home and keep away from work, school or crowds.
- Rest and take plenty of fluids.
- Cover your mouth and nose with disposable tissues when coughing and sneezing, and dispose of the used tissues properly.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often and thoroughly, especially after coughing or sneezing.
- Inform family and friends about your illness and try to avoid contact with people.
- Contact your doctor or healthcare provider before travelling to a health facility, and report your symptoms. Explain why you think you have influenza A(H1N1) (for example, if you have recently travelled to a country where there is an outbreak in humans). Follow the advice given to you.
- If it is not possible to contact your healthcare provider in advance, communicate your suspicion of infection as soon as you arrive at the facility.
- Cover your nose and mouth during travel.