WHO network of collaborating centres for prevention of deafness and hearing loss
The WHO programme for prevention of deafness and hearing loss (PDH) is supported in its workplan by a newly-formed network of WHO collaborating centres (CC). In line with the WHO’s policy on collaborating centres, a need was identified for the collaborating centres to develop greater collaboration with WHO and each other and form the WHO network of collaborating centres for prevention of deafness and hearing loss. In order to initiate this process, the First Strategic Meeting of WHO CCs for Prevention of Deafness and Hearing Loss was organized and supported by the China Research and Rehabilitation Centre for Deaf Children in Beijing, People’s Republic of China on 23-24 April 2013 (report can be accessed below).
- Beijing Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Beijing, PR China
- China Rehabilitation and Research Centre for Deaf Children (CRRCDC), Beijing, PR China
- Jiangsu Ear and Hearing Centre, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Department of ENT, Dr Cipto Mangunkusumo National Hospital, Medical Faculty University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, U.K. (proposed WHO collaborating centre for deafness)
Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Research Centre, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Report of the 1st Strategic planning meeting of WHO collaborating centres for prevention of deafness,23-24 April, 2013, Beijing, PR China
The third strategic planning meeting of the WHO CC network will be held on 9-10 November in Beijing, China. The meeting will be hosted by the Beijing Tongren Hospital with the objectives to:
- sensitize the WHO collaborating centres to WHO’s current activities in the field of prevention of deafness and hearing loss and seek their engagement in various initiatives.
- review the activities undertaken by the WHO CCs in the past two years, with respect to the two-year activity-plan.
- develop an activity-plan for the network of collaborating centres, with participation of informal centres.
Representatives of various academic centres which have established plans of collaboration with WHO will participate in the meeting.