Dr Luis Sambo
WHO Regional Director for Africa
Dr Luis Gomes Sambo, from Angola, was elected as WHO Regional Director for Africa on 1 February 2005.
Dr Sambo's priority areas of work in the African Region are as follows:
- continued focus on WHO’s leadership role in the provision of normative and policy guidance as well as strengthening partnerships and harmonization;
- supporting the strengthening of health systems based on the primary health care approach;
- putting the health of mothers and children first;
- accelerated actions on HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis;
- intensifying the prevention and control of communicable and noncommunicable diseases;
- accelerating response to the determinants of health.