Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycaemia
Report of a WHO/IDF consultation
In November 2005 a joint WHO and International Diabetes Federation (IDF) Technical Advisory Group met in Geneva to review and update the current WHO guidelines on diabetes. This report covers the following issues:
- Should the current diagnostic criteria for diabetes be changed?
- How should normal plasma glucose levels be defined?
- How should impaired glucose tolerance be defined?
- How should impaired fasting glucose be defined?
- What diagnostic tests should be used to define glycaemic status?