Contributions to Millennium Development Goals
MDGs requiring support in the areas of in vitro diagnostics and laboratory services
Progress towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals to reduce morbidity and mortality related to HIV/AIDS, malaria and other major diseases has been slow, partly because of lack of access to quality medicines and appropriate health technologies, in particular in vitro diagnostics and laboratory services. Antiretroviral therapy, tuberculosis treatment and anti-malarial therapy are becoming increasingly available in many resource-limited settings as a result of global efforts, however, the same attention has not been given to the provision of appropriate and affordable in vitro diagnostics.
The Millennium Development Goals cannot be reached unless the HIV status of more individuals in resource-limited settings can be diagnosed. Without diagnostic tools, safe and effective drug treatment, prevention of resistance to antiretroviral therapy and monitoring of resistance are not possible.
The Prequalification team - Diagnostics provides countries with the appropriate technical support, tools and guidance on the provision of in vitro diagnostics and laboratory services in ways which strengthen health systems consistent with the values of Primary Health Care.
Request for Proposals
22 MARCH 2017
The Prequalification Team is publishing a request for proposals for consultancy services relating to - developing and maintaining the Quality Management Systems (QMS) and assuming the responsibility for on-going system maintenance and effectiveness of operations within the Prequalification Team.
The services required by the World Health Organization (WHO) are more fully described in the below attached Terms of Reference and Request for Proposals.
Proposals should be submitted to WHO in writing no later than 5 April 2017 at 17:00 hours Geneva time ("the closing date"), by email at the following address: email@example.com
- WHO list of prequalified in vitro diagnostic products
- Status of active applications to the prequalification of in vitro diagnostics
- Complaints and Product Alerts
- Streamlining of the Prequalification of Diagnostics
- WHO Prequalification of Male Circumcision Devices
- Procurement of in vitro diagnostics
- HIV incidence assay working group
- Information resources
- First WHO prequalified hepatitis C rapid test opens the door to expanded treatment
- Two cutting-edge technologies for HIV detection in infants receive WHO prequalification
- New! Alternative performance evaluation mechanism
- New! Sample product dossier for public comment
- New! Guidance for manufacturers for public comment
New! Change of WHO recommendations on malaria RDT procurement
G6PD Prequalification: Public Announcement to Stakeholders
Guidance for post-market surveillance