CD4+ Technology procurement scheme
Since 2004, WHO has procured equipment and reagents for CD4+ T-cell enumeration, used to stage HIV disease, decide when to start treatment and monitor the response to anti-retroviral therapy.
These methods can include:
- Dedicated CD4+ enumeration instruments which have a low to medium throughput suitable in district and regional laboratories.
- Single and double platform classic flow cytometers which have a high throughput to be used in central laboratories.
Existing flow cytometers can be used where possible with the necessary additional reagents or a dedicated CD4+/CD8 T-cell enumerating flow cytometer.
Available to laboratories wishing to set up for first time use of CD4+ technology.
May include equipment, reagents, controls, installation and training and a maintenance contract.
Available to laboratories with existing equipment.
Consists of reagents and controls.
The availability of adequate expertise, laboratory infrastructure and technical support from the CD+ technology manufacturer within the WHO member states is paramount, as is the facility for on-going training of technicians and on-site maintenance of equipment.
Technical assistance and guidance are available in order to assist WHO member states with their choice of technology.
Circonstances et modalités d’utilisation des tests d’infection récente pour estimer l’incidence de l’infection à HIV au niveau d’une population.
When and how to use assays for recent infection to estimate HIV incidence at a population level
HIV Rapid Assays: Operational Characteristics Report 16
- View all documents
- WHO Prequalification of Medicines, Diagnostics and Vaccines: 6th Consultative Meeting with Stakeholders, 4-5 April 2011
- WHO Technical Working Group Meeting on CD 4 Technologies,17 -19 November 2009
- WHO Technical Working Group Meeting on Prequalification of HIV Virological Technologies, 21-23 September 2009
- View all events