The Role of Civil Society & NGOs
Civil society and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) have the power to influence individual behaviour and the institutions that are involved in healthy diet and physical activity promotion.
By collaborating with national and international partners, they can support the implementation of the Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health.
Civil society and nongovernmental organizations can:
- lead grass-roots mobilization and advocate that healthy diets and physical activity for children should be placed on the public agenda;
- support the wide dissemination of information on the prevention of noncommunicable diseases in children through balanced, healthy diets and physical activity;
- form networks and action groups to promote the availability of healthy foods and possibilities for physical activity in children;
- advocate and support health-promoting programmes and health education campaigns for children;
- monitor and work with other stakeholders such as private sector entities;
- contribute to putting knowledge and evidence into practice.