Overcoming Gaps in Research & Development on Antimicrobial Drug Resistance
Date: 26-27 March 2015
Place: Brasilia, Brazil
About the meeting
The purpose of the meeting was to address the current gaps in innovation and research and development (R&D) related to antimicrobial resistance, to raise engagement and awareness about the Global Action Plan and to foster the development of new collaborative and financial tools which can assist to overcome the related existent obstacles.
Key objectives of the meeting
- Obtain commitments from participants to support innovation and research and development on antimicrobial resistance as part of the Global Action Plan.
- Identify current gaps in research and development on antimicrobial resistance.
- Identify feasible, sustainable and concrete actions to overcome the existent obstacles to innovation and research and development on antimicrobial resistance.
Outputs of the meeting
- Development of a comprehensive understanding of challenges and gaps related to innovation and research and development on antimicrobial resistance.
- Joint high level technical statement indicating commitment to address innovation and research and development on antimicrobial resistance through action within their own countries, especially with academia, and by working with WHO, FAO, OIE and others to promote a coherent approach. The statement should foster new collaborative and financial models considering the challenges to innovation and research and development on antimicrobial resistance and generate a broad multisectoral research agenda for antimicrobial resistance.
- Leaders in research and research funding agencies from a representative set of countries in all six WHO regions.
- Delegates from International Organizations: World Bank, OIE, FAO, OECD.
- Representatives from the Government of Brazil.
- WHO representatives.
- Civil Society Organizations and Research Institutions with well-known work related to antimicrobial resistance.