eHealth Technical Advisory Group
WHO regularly convenes groups of technical experts to give specific and time-limited advice on certain projects as well as broad and ongoing advice on programmatic issues to WHO departments.
The selection of members for technical advisory groups is conducted based on the principles of adequate international and technical distribution of expertise, global representation of different trends of thought, approaches and practical experience, as well as interdisciplinary balance.
The eHealth Technical Advisory Group was established in 2013 with the overall purpose to support the work of the WHO in the area of eHealth. It does this by advising, within its scope of expertise, on aspects of policy, standardization, planning, priority setting, resource mobilization, collaboration and partnership building, evidence building and evaluation of eHealth activities in the Organization.
WHO defines eHealth as the use of information and communication technology in health, and WHO’s work in this field covers areas such as policy and governance, standardization and interoperability, research and global surveys, eLearning and capacity building, networking and South-to-South collaboration, as well as eHealth applications.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference of the eHealth Technical Advisory Group are as follows:
- To review, from a scientific and technical standpoint, the eHealth activities of the Organization in the context of major areas identified above.
- To suggest evaluation frameworks and mechanisms and, as part of this, to contribute to independent evaluation of the eHealth activities of the Organization, and their impact in countries.
- To review and make recommendations on priorities, new areas of work and partnership building in support of the Organization’s eHealth programme.
- To assist in identification of innovations, new frontiers and opportunities in support of the Organization in the eHealth field.
- To provide guidance and propose mechanisms for resource mobilization in support of WHO eHealth activities in Member States.
- To provide technical guidance to and liaison with the informal advisory groups in support of eHealth initiatives by technical programmes and regional offices.
- WHO African Region
- Dr Séan Broomhead, South Africa
- Mr Amadou Koita, Mali
- Prof Walinjom Fombad Tenjericha Muna (Chair), Cameroon
- WHO Region of the Americas
- Dr Patricia Abbott (Rapporteur), USA
- Dr Erik Augustson, USA
- Dr Férnan Gonzalez Bernaldo de Quirós, Argentina
- Prof Alain Labrique, USA
- Dr Luiz Ary Messina, Brazil
- WHO South-East Asia Region
- Prof Dr Abul Kalam Azad, Bangladesh
- Prof Saroj Kanta Mishra, India
- WHO European Region
- Mr Bob Gann, United Kingdom
- Prof Antoine Geissbuhler, Switzerland
- Prof Dr Reinhold Haux, Germany
- Ms Tove Sorensen, Norway
- WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region
- Prof Dr Riadh Gouider, Tunisia
- Dr Salah Mandil, Sudan
- WHO Western Pacific Region
- Dr Le Van Hoi, Viet Nam
- Mr Shivnay Naidu, Fiji
- Prof Hyeoun-Ae Park (Vice-Chair), Republic of Korea
- Dr Tong Xin, China