Zika situation report
27 October 2016
Zika virus, Microcephaly and Guillain-Barré syndrome
Download the map
List of countries and territories reporting mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission (Table 1.)
- Countries and territories reporting mosquito-borne Zika virus infections for the first time in the past week:
- Countries and territories reporting microcephaly and other central nervous system (CNS) malformations potentially associated with Zika virus infection for the first time in the past week:
- Countries and territories reporting Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) cases associated with Zika virus infection for the first time in the past week:
- The Ministry of Health of Viet Nam reported a case of microcephaly, for which testing is underway to determine the cause.
- The WHO Zika Virus Research Agenda has been published. The goal of the Agenda is to support the gathering of evidence to strengthen essential public health guidance to prevent and limit the impact of Zika virus and its complications. The Research Agenda identifies critical areas of research for which WHO is uniquely placed to implement and coordinate global action.
- The quarterly update of the Zika Strategic Response Plan has been published. This update provides key information on the epidemiological situation, response, and updated funding information for WHO and partners.
- Overall, the global risk assessment has not changed.