Internships are available in a wide variety of areas related to the technical work of WHO. Our Information Sheet for Interns regarding WHO departments (below) provides links to WHO-related websites about WHO's technical work. Please review this information and specify which area of WHO would be most suitable for you. The more specific you can be in your request, the better chances there will be to match you to one of our technical programmes.
Conditions of WHO Headquarters internships
- The duration of WHO internships is between a minimum of 6 weeks to a maximum of 12 weeks. Exceptionally, internships may be extended up to 24 weeks to respond to special academic requirements or particular needs of the receiving programme.
- WHO internships are not paid. Travel costs, travel arrangements (including visas), and living accommodations are the responsibility of the intern or their sponsoring institution.
- Persons related to a WHO staff member, i.e., son/daughter, brother/sister are not eligible for an internship.
- Interns must possess a passport of a WHO Member State.
- WHO Interns must have adequate medical insurance coverage during the entire period of the internships. For Geneva-based internships, this medical coverage must include Switzerland.
- Interns may participate only once in the WHO Internship Programme.
- Interns do not have the status of WHO staff members and shall not represent the Organization in any official capacity.
- WHO Interns are not eligible for appointment to any position within WHO for a period of three months following the end of their internship. Any employment with WHO at that point in time shall be subject to established recruitment and selection procedures.
Internships in the WHO regional or country offices
The application links on this website are for internships in Geneva, Switzerland. If you are interested in applying for an internship in one of our regional or country offices where a limited number of internships may be available, please contact that regional office directly by following the links below.
- WHO African Region
- WHO Region of the Americas
- WHO South-East Asia Region
- WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region
- WHO Western Pacific Region
Intern opportunity in Africa
Rwanda WHO office requires an intern or volunteer with a communications/health promotion background for 3 months, to work with the country team on developing a communication strategy to complement our technical work in the health sector” Timing between July and December 2013. Emails should be sent to WHO Country Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Intern” in the subject line
Internships in the WHO Regional Office for Europe
- List of health topics in the WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Details of our work in European countries