Ad hoc Working Groups
Two Ad hoc working groups have been convened to provide the Director-General with guidance on the science and evidence for ending childhood obesity and implementation, monitoring and accountability frameworks.
Ad hoc Working Group on Science and Evidence
The Ad hoc Working Group on Science and Evidence (WGSE) consists of experts in epidemiology, paediatrics, nutrition, developmental origins, health literacy, marketing to children, health economics, physical activity and gestational diabetes. The group will:
- estimate the prevalence of childhood obesity and its consequences;
- evaluate the economic impact of childhood obesity;
- examine the evidence on prevention of childhood obesity and how to reverse it in affected children; and determine the best combination of policies to put in place to achieve these goals in different settings; and
- evaluate and recommend policy options for monitoring and surveillance.
Ad hoc Working Group on Implementation, Monitoring and Accountability
The Ad hoc Working Group on Implementation, Monitoring and Accountability (WGIMA) consists of experts in monitoring and accountability, including representatives of governments, civil society, groups representing children, advocates for child health and nutrition, and international organizations. The group will develop:
- a framework for implementation of and accountability for policies recommended by the Ad hoc Working Group on Science and Evidence;
- mechanisms required to monitor recommended policy options;
- assessment of the feasibility of monitoring recommended policy options; and
- an approach ensuring that countries are not unduly burdened by reporting requirements.