The Convention Secretariat regularly organizes intercountry meetings on the implementation of the WHO FCTC, in collaboration with WHO regional offices. Between 2008 and 2011, eight such meetings were held (covering all WHO regions). On other occasions treaty-related information was provided by the Secretariat during relevant regional events.
In late 2011, a new series of intercountry meetings was launched, with expanded scope and participation. These meetings cover a broad range of issues, such as: regional and global developments under the Convention; instruments available to support implementation; best practices at country level and ways to promote their exchange and use among the Parties; as well as resources and mechanisms of assistance, and the role of international cooperation and international partners including South-South and triangular cooperation. The meetings convened after COP5 (Nov 2012) also addressed the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products, aiming to promote its ratifications and entry into force.
The following regional meetings were convened in 2016:
- Workshop on Articles 6 and 15 of the WHO FCTC and promote the entry into force of the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit trade in Tobacco Products.
Nadi, Fiji, 26-29 September 2016
The following regional workshops were convened in 2015:
-Pacific Workshop on Implementation of the WHO FCTC and regional action plan for the tobacco free initiative in the Western Pacific (2015-2019)
Nadi, Fiji, 17-19 November 2015
- Regional Workshop on the implementation of WHO FCTC, EMRO
Cairo, Egypt, 26-28 October 2015
- Regional Workshop for the South East Asian region on the implementation of WHO FCTC, and promote the entry into force of the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit trade in Tobacco Products.
Sri Lanka, 13-14 October 2015.
The following regional meetings were convened in 2014:
Regional meeting on implementation of the Convention in the European Region
Regional meeting on implementation of the Convention in the Western Pacific Region
Best practices in implementation of the Convention
Case-studies of best practices in implementation of the Convention in countries, as identified by the Parties during the meetings and developed through subsequent research, are being published by the Secretariat.
- WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products
- About the WHO FCTC