An observer is described as follow:
- Industry associations/umbrella organizations representing manufacturers of diagnostic reagents, devices, drugs or other products or services relevant to the surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases;
- Commercial enterprises and private sector entities; and
- Organizations that, while not fulfilling criteria for participation, are involved in activities relevant to part or all of the mandate and objectives of GARD.
Role of an observer:
- Assist to the discussion and deliberations at the General Meeting.
- No right to vote in the decision-making process.
- Only upon invitation of the Chairperson, observers may, however, make a statement to present their views or positions on the issue under consideration at the end of a discussion on that issue.
Applications for the status of observer by commercial enterprises and private sector entities are reviewed by the GARD secretariat, but the granting of observer status is made by WHO in its sole and absolute discretion.
How to join GARD if you are a commercial enterprise?
Commercial enterprises can help or support GARD by joining as observer. To do so, they have to contact GARD secretariat.