Global Health Observatory (GHO) data

Use of improved sanitation facilities

Situation and trends

Globally, 36 percent of the population use toilets with sewer connections which are not shared, while another 32 percent use improved on-site sanitation facilities which are not shared. Together, this totals 68 percent of the global population, or 5.0 billion people, who used at least basic sanitation services in 2015.

People with at least basic sanitation services are considered to have safely managed sanitation services if the excreta from their homes is transported through sewers and treated off-site; this was the case for 1.9 billion people (27 percent of the population) in 2015. Likewise, excreta from on-site sanitation facilities can be safely managed if it is safely disposed of in situ, or emptied and treated off-site. In 2015 941 million people (13 percent of the population) used on-site sanitation that was safely disposed of excreta on-site, and count towards safely managed services. Data were not sufficient to calculate the population with on-site sanitation systems where excreta were emptied and treated off-site.

Poor management of excreta is linked to transmission of diseases such as cholera, diarrhoea, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid and polio, and also contributes to malnutrition. Inadequate sanitation is estimated to cause 280 000 diarrhoeal deaths annually and is a major factor in several neglected tropical diseases, including intestinal worms, schistosomiasis, and trachoma.