Human African trypanosomiasis
Situation and trends
Sleeping sickness is found in remote sub-Saharan areas where health systems are often weak. T. b. gambiense is endemic in 24 countries of west and central Africa and causes more than 98% of reported cases of sleeping sickness. T. b. rhodesiense is endemic in 13 countries of eastern and southern Africa, representing less than 2% of reported cases. The African Region has the largest proportion of reported cases (96%) and the Eastern Mediterranean Region has the remaining 4%. Between 1999 and 2011, the reported number of new cases of the chronic form of human African trypanosomiasis (T. b. gambiense) fell by 77%, from 27 862 to 6 631. During the same period, the number of newly reported cases of the acute form of human African trypanosomiasis (T.b. rhodesiense) fell by 82% from 619 to 112.