WHO Global Conference on Noncommunicable Diseases sessions
Three sessions outside of the formal agenda of the WHO Global Conference on NCDs were organized by or in collaboration with GCM/NCD participants.
19 October 2017: 07.30-08.30 - Breakthrough Breakfast: Speaking up: Amplifying the voice of lived experience in the movement to #BeatNCDs NCD Alliance
On 19 October 2017, in the context of the Global Conference on NCDs in Montevideo, NCD Alliance, a GCM participant, organized a Breakthrough Breakfast titled “Speaking up: Amplifying the voices of lived experience in the movement to #BeatNCDs”. The event shared the initial findings of the NCD Alliance consultation of people living with NCDs as part of its Our Views, Our Voices initiative, and the GCM Secretariat presented the NCDs&Me initiative as part of the WHO Global Communications Campaign.
- Develop a shared understanding of the need to promote the increased involvement of people living with NCDs in the NCD response
- Explore what meaningful involvement means, share examples of where this is successfully applied and discuss practical things that delegates to the WHO Global Conference on NCDs can do to put this to practice
- Share initial consultation findings of the Our Views, Our Voices initiative and next steps to promote the increased involvement of people living with NCDs in the NCD response, including plans for a WHO/GCM Community of Practice
20 October 2017: 07.00-09.00 – GCM/NCD Breakfast Seminar on Implementation Research to Accelerate Progress in Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Control in Countries.
Supported by the Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases
- Understand the importance of implementation research and its role to accelerate country-level action to meet the targets of the WHO Global Action Plan (2013-2020) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (SDG 3-4)
- Share experiences and best practices at global and national levels from researchers who have been involved in implementation research for NCDs
- Discuss challenges and identify solutions to conducting NCD implementation research in countries
- Identify ways and means to support local capacity building and ensure sustainable predictable financing of NCD implementation research in countries
20 October 2017: 13.30-15.00 - Multi-stakeholder Luncheon: Looking forward to the next decade of NCD action NCDFREE
On 20 October 2017, in the context of the Global Conference on NCDs in Montevideo, NCDFREE, a GCM participant, organized a multistakeholder Luncheon titled “Shifting the frame: how we can use tangible stories to generate momentum on NCD action”. Through interactive exercises the event put the spotlight on solutions from established and emerging leaders to invigorate efforts for NCD prevention and control.
- Reinforce key Conference take-home messages from a multistakeholder group before delegates depart Uruguay
- Celebrate the successful conclusion of the Conference in an informal manner
- Showcase a range of innovative solutions from a range of emerging and established leaders in the NCD space, which have led to tangible outcomes in successfully beating NCDs
- Linking the event to further thoughts and recent discussion about the Montevideo Roadmap
- Showcase how youth involvement can be integrated within key NCD reduction strategies rather than through stand-alone events and opportunities
- Allow delegates to actively reflect and discuss Conference outcomes and next steps.
- Leave delegates feeling energized and positive with clear solutions to employ in their own settings