Statutes of the State of Kuwait Health Promotion Foundation
Article 1 - Establishment
Under the title of “State of Kuwait Health Promotion Foundation”, a foundation is established within the framework of the World Health Organization, which shall be governed by the following provisions.
Article 2 - The Founder
The Foundation is established upon the initiative of, and with funds provided by, the Government of the State of Kuwait (hereinafter referred to as “the Founder”).
Article 3 - Capital
The Founder endows the Foundation with an initial capital of US$ 1 000 000 (one million United States dollars). The capital shall be invested and managed by the Administrator in order to generate capital growth and income for the benefit of the Foundation in future years. The capital of the Foundation may be increased by all the income from its undistributed reserves or by gifts and bequests.
Article 4 - Purpose
- The purpose of the Foundation is to award a prize (“the State of Kuwait Prize for Research in Health Promotion”) to a person or persons, an institution or institutions or a nongovernmental organization or organizations, who have made an outstanding contribution to research in health promotion. The specific criteria that shall be applied in the assessment of the work done by the candidate/candidates shall be determined by the Foundation Selection Panel.
- The Prize shall be presented during a session of the World Health Assembly to the recipient or, in his absence, to a person representing him.
Article 5 - Proposal and selection of candidates
- Any national health administration of a Member State of the World Health Organization, or any former recipient of the Prize, may put forward the name of a candidate for the Prize.
- Proposals shall be submitted to the Administrator, who shall submit them to the Foundation Selection Panel with his technical comments.
- Current and former staff members of the World Health Organization, and current members of the Executive Board, shall be ineligible to receive the Prize.
Article 6 - Foundation Selection Panel
- The Foundation Selection Panel shall consist of the Chairman of the Executive Board, a representative of the Founder, and a member of the Executive Board elected by it for a period not exceeding his or her term of office, from a Member State of the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
- The presence of the three members of the Selection Panel shall be required for the taking of decisions. The Panel shall take decisions by a majority of its members.
- The travel expenses of the representative of the Founder in attending the meetings of the Foundation Selection Panel shall be considered to be an expense of the Foundation and reimbursed, in accordance with the travel rules of the Administrator, out of the income derived from the Foundation’s capital.
Article 7 - Proposal of the Foundation Selection Panel
The Foundation Selection Panel shall propose, at a private meeting, the name (or names) of the recipient (or recipients) of the Prize to the Executive Board. The proposal shall be considered by the Executive Board, which shall decide who the recipient, or recipients, of the Prize shall be.
Article 8 - The Prize
- The Prize shall consist of a certificate of award and a sum of money, together with a plaque from the Founder, which shall be awarded not more often than once in each year, derived from the interest on the Foundation’s capital. The sum of money initially determined may be adjusted from time to time by the Selection Panel, based on the changes in the capital of the Foundation, variation in interest rates and other relevant factors.
- If the Prize is awarded to more than one person, an institution or institutions, or a nongovernmental organization or organizations, the sum of money shall be proportionately distributed between them.
Article 9 - Administrative Cost
A charge of 13% (or as otherwise established by the governing bodies of the World Health Organization) for programme support costs shall be assessed on the amounts awarded by the State of Kuwait Health Promotion Foundation to help cover the cost of administration of the Foundation.
Article 10 - The Administrator
- The Director-General of the World Health Organization shall be the Administrator of the Foundation, and shall act as the Secretary of the Foundation Selection Panel.
- The Administrator shall be responsible:
- for the execution of the decisions taken by the Foundation Selection Panel within the limits of its powers, as defined in these Statutes; and
- for the observance of the present Statutes and generally for the administration of the Foundation in accordance with the present Statutes.
Article 11 - Revision of the Statutes
On the proposal of one of its members, the Foundation Selection Panel may propose the revision of the present Statutes. Any such proposal, if endorsed by a majority of the members of the Selection Panel, shall be submitted to the Executive Board for approval. Any revision shall be reported to the next session of the World Health Assembly.