Statutes of the Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health
(Revised in January 2011)
Article 1 - Establishment
Under the title of the “Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health”, a Prize is established within the framework of the World Health Organization, which shall be governed by the following provisions.
Article 2 - The Founder
The Prize is established upon the initiative of, and with funds provided by, the Government of the Republic of Korea through the Korea Foundation for International Healthcare – Dr LEE Jongwook Memorial Fund (hereinafter referred to as “the Founder”).
Article 3 - Endowment
The Founder annually endows the Prize with an endowment of US$ 100 000 (one hundred thousand United States dollars) together with a sum sufficient to cover the charge referred to in Article 8 below, as confirmed annually by the Administrator. This annual endowment, together with this additional sum, shall be provided by the Founder to the World Health Organization in January of each year. Article
Article 4 - Prize
- Provided that the Administrator is in receipt of the endowment, the Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize shall be awarded to a person or persons, an institution or institutions, a governmental or nongovernmental organization or organizations, who have made an outstanding contribution to public health. The Prize aims at rewarding work that has extended far beyond the call of normal duties, and it is not intended as a reward for excellent performance of duties normally expected of an official occupying a government position or of a governmental or intergovernmental institution.
- The Prize shall consist of a sum of money, together with a plaque from the Founder, which shall be awarded not more often than once in each year. The sum of money shall be US$ 100 000 (one hundred thousand United States dollars). This sum may be adjusted by the Prize Selection Panel, including as a result of any changes to the charges for the administrative cost provided for in Article 8 below.
- If the Prize is awarded to more than one person, institution, or organization, the sum of money shall be proportionately distributed between them.
- The Prize(s) shall be presented during a session of the World Health Assembly to the recipient(s) or, in their absence, to a person(s) representing them.
Article 5 - Proposal and selection of candidates
- Any national health administration of a Member State of the World Health Organization, or any former recipient of the Prize, may put forward the name of a candidate for the Prize.
- Proposals shall be submitted to the Administrator, who shall submit them to the Prize Selection Panel.
- Current and former staff members of the World Health Organization, and current members of the Executive Board, shall be ineligible to receive the Prize.
Article 6 - Prize Selection Panel
- The Dr LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize Selection Panel (“the Prize Selection Panel”) shall consist of the Chairman of the Executive Board, a representative of the Founder, and a member elected by the Executive Board from among its members for a period not exceeding his or her term of office on the Executive Board.
- The presence of the three members of the Prize Selection Panel shall be required for the taking of decisions. The Panel shall take decisions by a majority of its members.
Article 7 - Proposal of the Prize Selection Panel
The Prize Selection Panel, in a private meeting, shall consider the candidates for the Prize, and shall propose the name(s) of the recipient(s) of the Prize to the Executive Board. The proposal shall be considered by the Executive Board, which shall decide who the recipient(s) of the Prize shall be.
Article 8 - Administrative cost
A charge of 13% (or as otherwise established by the governing bodies of the World Health Organization) for programme support costs shall be assessed on the annual endowment provided by the Founder to the Administrator in order to help to cover the cost of the administration of the Prize.
Article 9 - The Administrator
- The Director-General of the World Health Organization shall be the Administrator of the Prize, and shall act as the Secretary of the Prize Selection Panel.
- The Administrator shall be responsible for:
- the execution of the decisions taken by the Prize Selection Panel within the limits of its powers, as defined in these Statutes; and
- the observance of the present Statutes and, generally, the administration of the Prize in accordance with the present Statutes.
Article 10 - Revision of the Statutes
On the proposal of one of its members, the Prize Selection Panel may propose the revision of the present Statutes. Any such proposal, if endorsed by a majority of the members of the Selection Panel, shall be submitted to the Executive Board for approval. Any revision shall be reported to the next session of the World Health Assembly.