SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands - WHO's global annual campaign
Announcing the 5 May 2015 Campaign theme!
Strengthening healthcare systems and delivery – hand hygiene is your entrance door
What are you doing to be part of a life-saving social epidemic? Some of our collaborators around the globe are already actively supporting 5 May 2015, including Private Organisations for Patient Safety (POPS).
After 10 years of the WHO Clean is Safer Care programme, here are 10 reasons why you should be part of it:
- Hand hygiene at the right times saves lives.
- Hand hygiene in health care has saved millions of lives in the last years.
- Hand hygiene is a quality indicator of safe healthcare systems.
- Health-care problems, like HAIs which are often invisible but nevertheless still occur, are political and social challenges that we must address now.
- Infections can be stopped through good hand hygiene, and patient and health worker harm prevented for less than $10.
- Affordable life-saving technology is available! Alcohol-based handrub, which costs approximately $3 per bottle, can prevent HAI and millions of deaths every year.
- #handhygiene exists in the media, which means it exists as an important topic, whether due to HAI or outbreaks of deadly diseases like Ebola.
- Embedding specific moments for hand hygiene action into health worker workflow makes it easier to do the right thing every minute, every hour, every day.
- Infection prevention is at the heart of strengthening health-care systems. Hand hygiene is core to all interventions, whether inserting an invasive device, managing a surgical wound, or giving an injection.
- The social epidemic has already begun to spread with SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands, a successful global campaign promoting hand hygiene action at the point of patient care.