WHO North Kivu Crisis Situation Report No. 2
The latest information on WHO, health partners and health needs during the current crisis in North Kivu:
- The situation in Goma is stable.
- The French Minister of Foreign Affairs and his British counterpart arrived today in Goma, met with the humanitarian community and visited the Kibati I and II IDP sites. The humanitarian community presented the main concerns and interventions during a press meeting.
- High-level diplomatic contacts are ongoing in Kinshasa and Goma.
- According to OCHA, several IDP sites in Rutshuru (33 080 people) and of Kibumba (2375) may have been destroyed by the rebels of the Congrès national pour la défense du peuple (CNDP), forcing the displaced to return to their home villages.
- WHO is coordinating the health response and a meeting of the provincial Health Cluster was held today to evaluate the humanitarian situation.
- Humanitarian access to displace population remains limited due to insecurity.
Health situation assessment
- No new cholera cases have been recorded.
- No new wounded people were admitted to hospital.
WHO and other partners response
- Following the Health Cluster meeting in Goma today, the following decisions have been made:
- WHO and the Provincial Health Inspection authority will continue assessments of health areas in Goma and Karisimbi health zones;
- The cholera contingency plan will be updated;
- The International Medical Corps (IMC) will support the urgent rehabilitation of the Kibumba health centre and see to the procurement of drugs and medical equipment.
- Advocacy for:
- Protection of displaced population;
- Protection of humanitarian workers;
- Access to displaced populations.
For more information, please contact:
Dr Matthieu Kamwa, WHO Representative in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Dr Brice Ahounou, Health Action in Crises Focal Point
Dr Casimir Bobo Sinda, EHA, Kinshasa Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Eugène Kabambi, Communication Officer, EHA, Kinshasa
To receive the RSS feed for WHO's latest "Emergency and disasters news," go to http://www.who.int/about/licensing/rss/en/