28 March earthquake: Situation report 4
This report is prepared by Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA) Section, WHO, Indonesia. Reference: Earthquake – North Sumatra Province and NAD Province, Indonesia – 29 March 2005
WHO/MoH response to the disaster
- WHO is assisting the PHO to set up a health information center and a joint UN information center at the PosKo in the Military Airport and will facilitate the health coordination meeting.
- WHO has 6 staffs in Nias with 4 medical officers, one logistician, and one water sanitation expert. The team is currently working closely with the health PosKo in Gunung Sitoli and will facilitate the surveillance at the site soon.
- WHO has 10 Surgical Kit (34 boxes per kit) at the PosKo ready to be shipped to Nias.
- MOH, PHO and WHO team sent to Simeuleu bringing medicine and supplies for assessment.
- MOH and UNICEF have sent 15 trucks of supply to MOH warehouse in Sibolga.
- Bakornas is coordinating the relief efforts and has set up 7 cells of which health is one of the 7.
- Government has set a command post in Medan and Gunung Sitoli, to coordinate the emergency relief operation for Nias. The provincial office has also set up a special command post (PosKo) to coordinate emergency medical response for Nias.