Emergency and humanitarian action update June 2009
This e-bulletin provides a snapshot of the activities of WHO South-East Asia in Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Nepal.
Support for Diarrhoeal Outbreak
WHO support to Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP)
WHOs Emergency and Humanitarian Action (EHA), Immunization Preventable Diseases (IPD) and Communicable Diseases Surveillance (COMDIS) units are supporting the Epidemiology and Diseases Control Division (EDCD), Department of Health Services (DHS), MOHP, in the following areas:
- Coordination at the central level with partner agencies
- Coordination with District Health Office
- Establishing surveillance system
- Provision of two diarrhoeal diseases kits
- Supporting with 15 personal deployment kits
- Specimen collection for laboratory test
- Information management and logistics tracking
A WHO team consisting of Dr. A. Pinto, Epidemiologist, Ms. Hyo-Jeong Kim, Technical Officer, EHA, and Mr. Pujan Shrestha, Secretary, WHO COMDIS visited Jajarkot from 24 28 July 2009 to support the District Health Offices in establishing a surveillance system and to coordinate the response at the district level.
EHA has been closely monitoring the situation and producing situation reports twice a week, which is shared with all partners including the Ministry of Health and Population.
Hospital Emergency Planning workshop, Udayapur Hospital, Udayapur District
- WHO-EHA supported a Hospital Emergency Planning workshop, organized by Epidemiology and Diseases Control Division (EDCD), for health staff at the district hospital in Udayapur district, on 6-8 July 2009.
- Twenty-five people participated, including the hospital director and the in-charges from district health offices.
- The training covered disaster concept/terminology, mechanisms in place for public health disaster management focusing on coordination, mass casualty management, triage and the concept of hospital emergency preparedness and disaster response.
- The output was a hospital emergency preparedness plan which was drafted and tested during the workshop. A working committee has been formed to finalize the hospital plan by August 2009.
Micro-Planning workshop on Disaster Management, Makwanpur & Terathum Districts
- WHO EHA supported a micro-planning workshop on disaster management organized by the Epidemiology and Diseases Control division (EDCD) for district health office staff in Makawnpur and Terathum districts, on 1-2 July and 10-12 July respectively.
- At both the districts, there were 25 participants including the district health officer and the rapid response team focal point.
- The training covered disaster concept/terminology, experiences from DHO on the management of disasters in the district, information on health sector emergency preparedness and disaster response, and role of public health personnel during disasters in the district
- WHO-EHA is continuing its work with HMIS unit of MoHP to strengthen the information management system and mapping of the health indicators. A workplan has been developed and the first district will be mapped in early August.
- The first assessments of the health facilities in 48 districts that EHA initiated with the World Food Programmes (WFP) Vulnerability Assessment and Monitoring unit, has been received. WFP and WHO will develop a joint report based on the outcomes. Some of the data collected will also be used by HMIS in its mapping exercise
First Aid Training
- WHO is working with Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) to train five Red Cross district chapters in the Eastern and Central region on first level triage in mass casualty incidents, and utilization of first aid kits for initial services to patients.
Contingency Planning Exercise
- WHO-EHA will conduct contingency planning exercises at the district level. The tool has been developed and shared among partners for feedback.
- The final tool will be translated into Nepali for easier access.
WHO Regular activities
Emergency Health and Nutrition Working Group Meeting
- WHO has hosted the Emergency Health and Nutrition Working Group (EHNWG) meeting on a weekly basis since 16 July 2009.
- In July the meetings discussed the ongoing diarrhoea outbreak and reviewed preparedness and response capacity in order to provide immediate support to the Ministry of Health and Population.
For more information
To receive the RSS feed for WHO's latest "Emergency and disasters news," go to http://www.who.int/about/licensing/rss/en/