World Humanitarian Day 2010
Paying tribute to humanitarian workers
19 August 2010 is the second World Humanitarian Day.
In 2010 the Day will raise awareness of what it means to be a humanitarian aid worker by describing the work humanitarians do, explaining the principles all humanitarians are guided by, and portraying the hazards humanitarian workers face in the course of their work. The Day will also honour aid workers who have been killed or injured in the course of their work.
The United Nations General Assembly, which established the Day in 2008, invites all countries, UN entities and international and non-governmental organizations to observe the day annually, providing an opportunity to increase public support for humanitarian work worldwide.
- Statement by Dr Eric Laroche
- World Humanitarian Day - WHO podcast
- 2010 World Humanitarian Day Film (YouTube)
- More about World Humanitarian Day 2010
- Sergio Vieira de Mello Fundation website