WHO in Emergencies - Learning by doing, April 2003
Revisiting core commitments/responsibilities
- producing regular and reliable information on what is happening to people's health - drawing on all available sources.
- supporting national authorities, and those with a mandate for humanitarian action in country, to establish priorities for immediate response that are based on this information
- promoting and supporting the best actions to address these priorities within and outside the health sector, with special focus on control of disease outbreaks;
- supporting alliances and co-ordination among all bodies working for the health of groups at risk;
- tracking progress, identifying trends and gaps both in the understanding of issues and in the response, and communicating this information throughout WHO and beyond;
- drawing lessons so as to prevent future crises, or – at least - to respond better.