WHO Emergency Health Coordinator in ------
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the supervision of the WHO Country Representative in --------, and in close coordination with the Departments of Emergency and Humanitarian Action in WHO/RO/-----and in WHO/HQ, the incumbent will ensure the Organization's presence and operational capacity in the entire country to strengthen coordinated Public Health management in order to reduce avoidable loss of life, burden of disease and disability among the displaced and affected host population.
More specifically the incumbent will support the WR to strengthen WHO’s and MOH capacity to coordinate health activities with UN agencies and NGOs at all levels.
- Identifying priority health and nutrition-related issues among the refugee, displaced and affected host population and ensure that these are properly addressed in an integrated primary health care approach that preserves and strengthens local health systems.
- Strengthening health and nutrition surveillance systems.
- Ensuring control of preventable ill health particularly communicable and vaccine-preventable diseases.
- Ensuring that risks related to the environment are recognized and properly managed.
- Ensuring good quality and access to basic preventive and curative care including essential drugs and vaccines for all, with special focus on the especially vulnerable - the elderly, the very young, pregnant women, the disabled and the chronically ill.
- Ensuring that Humanitarian Health Assistance is in line with international standards and local priorities and does not compromise future health development.
- Advocating and negotiating for secure humanitarian access, and neutrality and protection of health workers, services and structures as integral parts of public health promotion.