WHO Information and Media Relations Officer in …..
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. List tasks to be performed.
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative in ……. and in close collaboration with the Department of Emergency and Humanitarian Action in WHO/RO ……. and in WHO/HQ, the Information and Media Relations Officer will be required to work independently and take decisions affecting information gathering and sharing as well as determining what the activities are news-worthy and networking to make such activities or programmes visible. S/he will need to independently develop approaches to achieve broadly stated goals. This will require mastery of a broad scope of information related to health in complex emergencies and natural disasters, and communication techniques. It will also involve animating the journalism network, and educating various audiences on a consistent basis.
- The Information and Media Relations Officer will determine policies and procedures to manage information from receipt to deployment either through the website or the various media.
- Enlist cooperation from people at different levels in outside organizations and liaise with various media representatives.
- Serve as an advisor on issues related to emergency information management as well as serve as the program spokesperson and liaison with the media.
- In addition, s/he will produce Public Service Announcements (PSAs) to be aired on world broadcasters.
- S/he will write feature stories on the health problems in particular countries and WHO’s solutions (always bringing in the personal element, i.e. touching individuals’ lives).
- Ensures that WHO HQ receive timely and complete updates of what is happening in the field so that WHO can play a role in the regular Palais briefings.
- Other tasks as required.
2. Indicate the minimum qualifications, special training (including language skills) and length and type of experience required for this position.
- University degree. Extensive journalist experience in health related issues
3. List any other requirements.
- Ability to work in a team, but take independent decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good computer skills
- Fluency in English and/or French