Public Health Pre-Deployment Course (PHPD)
Please make sure that you fit in one of the required profiles and the conditions before submitting your application to the Course.
The Course is open to all interested and motivated candidates who have the minimum entry criteria listed below. Professionals from outside WHO are encouraged to apply, as diversity in terms of experience is of value for this Course.
Professionals who fit in any one of the profiles listed below are expected to comply with the minimum entry criteria in order to be selected for the Course.
Expertise required in the field
Based on the health emergency core areas as defined by WHO and the IASC Global Health Cluster, the following professional profiles are sought for application to this Course:
- Field health coordination
- Health information and assessments
- Donor/media relations and reporting (public information) and resource mobilization
- Health systems, infrastructure and service delivery
- Clinical services, including mass casualty management
- Prevention and control of communicable diseases
- Control and management of chronic conditions
- Mental health and psychosocial support
- Public health nutrition
- Water, sanitation, hygiene and other environmental health services, including chemical and radiological emergencies
- Maternal, neonatal and child health/Reproductive health
- Social mobilization, health communication and promotion
- Logistics coordination
For each professional profile, a general description and related terms of reference are developed.
Participants will be assessed throughout the Course for their suitability for field deployment, and will be determined if they are: (a) ready for deployment as field health coordinators; (b) ready for deployment in specific technical areas; or (c) not ready for deployment before additional training. Candidates that pass assessments (a) and (b) will be enrolled into the WHO Emergency Health Roster from which the recruitment for field assignments will take place. Candidates who do not pass the assessment will be advised on additional training or experience they may need to become eligible. For details on the application process and requirements, please go to the 'How to apply' section.