Public Health Pre-Deployment Course (PHPD)
WHO should attend?
The Course is designed for all professionals interested to work in support of Public Health interventions in emergency and humanitarian settings and who fulfill the minimum requirements outlined below.
WHO is specifically interested in the candidacy of people who have expertise in emergency health management, public health and program management and logistics and who would respond to the following priority profiles for deployment in emergencies:
- Health Cluster Coordinator
- Emergency Health Coordinator
- Emergency Operations Manager
- Water and Sanitarian Engineer
- Senior Logistician (coordination)
- Media and Communication Officer
- Resource Mobilization Officer
- Demonstration of a high level of technical knowledge in an area relevant to the needs for deployment in emergency and humanitarian settings, including knowledge of immediate crisis response situations – give an example in your application statement;
- Relevant professional background and experience related to the specific priority profiles highlighted above; in your application statement, make sure to indicate for which position(s) you might be considered and your professional background as related to this area;
- Work and/or related field work experience, in developing countries or crisis affected countries;
- Availability for rapid deployment – attach a letter of agreement to your application;
- Proficiency in at least one of the official languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) and have a working knowledge of a second. Additional languages are an asset.
Assessment of candidates
Participants will be assessed throughout the Course for their suitability for deployment. Successful candidates will be enrolled in the WHO Emergency Health Roster and will be invited to participate actively in the Learning Program of Public Health in Emergency and Humanitarian settings to further prepare for deployment.
For details on the application process and requirements, please go to the 'How to apply' section.