Alternative Financing Strategies for Universal Health Coverage
In World Scientific Handbook of Global Health Economics and Public Policy, Richard M Scheffler, ed.
Volume 1 – Economics of Health and Health Systems
This publication is part of the three-volume handbook, which covers major topics in global health economics and public policy, providing a systematic review of the field. The chapter on alternative financing strategies for UHC synthesizes both theory and practice into principles that can be used to guide country progress with their financing reforms. Conceptual underpinnings of both UHC and health financing policy are followed by a synthesis of lessons with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Finally, various policy options are presented to address the key challenges facing LMICs.
- Revenue raising
- Purchasing and provider payment systems
- Budget transfers to health coverage schemes
- Policy Brief Nº 1 Raising revenues for health in support of UHC: strategic issues for policy makers
- Health financing country diagnostic: A foundation for national strategy development
- Plan of action – The path to Universal Health Coverage
- Policy Brief: Challenge of extending universal coverage in low- and middle-income countries in Asia
- Reforms for improving the efficiency of health systems: lessons from 10 country cases