Grant amount: $110,000
Details: HIS assessment and workshop, legal framework development.
Summary Overall Results
The six components of the HIS as in the HMN framework were assessed and the areas for improvement include:
- Resources: although resources for HIS are present, they are not adequate specifically the need for legal framework, strategic planning, human resources development and allocating adequate financial resources are indicated as not adequate.
- Indicators: The facility based health service and morbidity and mortality indicators are well defined but adding some important indicators in a national core health indicator list and developing a mechanism for regular monitoring and evaluation of the indicators is required.
- Data Sources: Census and vital statistics are the priority areas for improvement though administrative records specifically equipment, physical status of facilities and expenditure tracking also need consideration.
- Data Management: Development of metadata dictionary and warehouse for the different sources of information should be a priority for improvement. Information products: Mortality measurement specifically adult and maternal mortality which is related to vital statistics need priority consideration although IMR and CMR are measured with DHS
- Dissemination and use: The assessment result indicated that dissemination and use is adequate but the use of information for resource allocation need additional efforts for improvement as Eritrea is one of the poor countries with scarce resources.