Strategizing national health in the 21st century: a handbook
This handbook is designed as a resource for providing up-to-date and practical guidance on national health planning and strategizing for health. It establishes a set of best practices to support strategic plans for health and represents the wealth of experience accumulated by WHO on national health policies, strategies and plans (NHPSPs).
WHO has been one of the leading organizations to support countries in the development of NHPSPs. The focus on improving plans has grown in recent years, in recognition of the benefits of anchoring a strong national health sector in a written vision based on participation, analysis, and evidence.
- Chapter 1. Introduction: strategizing national health in the 21st century
- Chapter 2. Population consultation on needs and expectations
- Chapter 3. Situation analysis of the health sector
- Chapter 4. Priority-setting for national health policies, strategies and plans
- Chapter 5. Strategic planning: transforming priorities into plans
- Chapter 6. Operational planning: transforming plans into action
- Chapter 7. Estimating cost implications of a national health policy, strategy or plan
- Chapter 8. Budgeting for health
- Chapter 9. Monitoring and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans
- Chapter 10. Law, regulation and strategizing for health
- Chapter 11. Strategizing for health at sub-national level
- Chapter 12. Intersectoral planning for health and health equity
- Chapter 13. Strategizing in distressed health contexts