DECLARATION ON CHILDREN'S HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Analysis of the environmental hazards confronting children in Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay has demonstrated that there exist widespread problems in the environment that threaten the current and the future health of our children and our communities.
The national pediatric societies of Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay hereby express their willingness to work jointly in the following areas:
- Education and capacity building among their members;
- Investigation of the most important problems;
- Advocacy to their governments and to other national and international organizations;
- Ongoing surveillance of the quality of children's environmental health in each of their countries;
- Promotion in the community of actions that will enhance knowledge and protection of the environments in which our children are born, grow, play and learn.
Our children are the future of our nations and the protection of environmental health is our responsibilty.
MAR DEL PLATA, AGENTINA
AT THE 33rd ANNUAL CONGRESS OF THE ARGENTINE PEDIATRIC SOCIETY
OCTOBER 2, 2003