Hinari Core Offer includes two groups of countries, areas, or territories (Group A and Group B)
Local, not-for-profit institutions in two groups of countries, areas, or territories may register for access to the publications through the Core Offer of Hinari. The country lists are based on five factors: Total GNI (World Bank figures), GNI per capita (World Bank figures), United Nations Least Developed Country (LDCs) List, Human Development Index (HDI) and Healthy Life Expectancy (HALE).
- Details about the criteria by which countries, areas, or territories are categorized for the core offer
- Eligible categories of institutions are: national universities, professional schools (medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health, dentistry), research institutes, teaching hospitals and healthcare centers, government offices, national medical libraries and local non-governmental organizations. All staff members and students are entitled to access the information resources.
- If your institution is in a Group A (free access) country, area, or territory, then Hinari is free. If your institution is in a Group B (low-cost access) country, area, or territory, Hinari costs US$ 1500 per institution per calendar year (from January through December). All eligible institutions registering from Group B countries, areas, or territories will receive a six month trial without payment.
- If your institution is in a Group B (low-cost access) country, area, or territory, and cannot or chooses not to pay the annual fee, the institution will still be eligible for free access to a small number of information resources.
Core Offer countries, areas and territories
Group A (free access)
Group B (low-cost access)
1 Moving from Group B to Group A in 2018
2 Moving from Group A to Group B in 2018
3 Graduating from Core Offer in 2018
Refugee Camps recognized by UNRWA or categorized by UNHCR as “planned/managed camps” are eligible for free Hinari access regardless of their geographical location.
This list of countries, areas, and territories is intended for use by the Research4Life partnership only. Given the specific nature of the design of this list which incorporates factors relevant to our public-private-partnership, we recommend that anyone seeking a list of countries fitting certain criteria should consult original United Nations, UNDP, and World Bank data.
- World Bank GNIpc data
- World Bank GNI data
- United Nations. List of Least Developed Countries
- International Human Development Indicators
- UNHCR Statistical Yearbook, Statistical Annexes
- UNRWA Refugee Camps
- Healthy Life Expectancy (HALE) - Explanation
- Healthy Life Expectancy (HALE) - Figures
For countries, areas, and territories that no longer meet the eligibility criteria of the Hinari Core Offer, a small set of content is available through the Transitional Path Offer of Hinari