Development of the Global Health Sector Strategy for HIV/AIDS, 2011-2015
The Sixty-third World Health Assembly adopted a resolution that requested the WHO Director-General to develop a WHO HIV/AIDS Strategy for 2011-2015. The Strategy is now being prepared to be submitted to the World Health Assembly in May 2011.
- builds on the achievements and experiences of the "3 by 5" initiative and the five strategic directions of the WHO HIV/AIDS Universal Access Plan 2006-2010;
- takes into consideration the broad global HIV, health and development architecture, including the UNAIDS Strategy and Outcome Framework, and existing commitments to achieving Universal Access and the Millennium Development Goals;
- identifies existing and agreed global targets to motivate countries to plan for bold HIV/AIDS responses through to 2015;
- provides guidance to countries on how to prioritize their HIV and broader health investments;
- provides a framework for concerted WHO action at the global, regional and country levels and across all relevant WHO departments.
The Global Health Sector Strategy for HIV/AIDS, 2011–2015, is closely aligned with the UNAIDS Strategy 2011–2015, which has been developed in parallel.
Download the draft HIV strategy 2011–2015
- Arabic [pdf, 782kb]
- Chinese [pdf, 1.30Mb]
- English [pdf, 1.58Mb]
- French [pdf, 1.31Mb]
- Russian [pdf, 1.45Mb]
- Spanish [pdf, 1.26Mb]
Broad consultations for strategy development
WHO has undertaken a consultation process involving all key stakeholders and constituencies in the development of the Global Health Sector Strategy for HIV/AIDS 2011-2015, including Member States, civil society, donor and development agencies, non-governmental organizations, multilateral agencies (including the UN family), scientific and technical institutions and networks, and the private sector. Over 100 countries and constituency groups took part in our consultations in 2010, and a public online consultation was undertaken in July-September 2010.
Download summary reports of consultations
13-14 October 2010, Consultation with Development Partners, The Hague, Netherlands
August - October 2010, Country and Regional Consultations at WHO Regional Committees
26 July - 7 September 2010, Public online consultation
18 July 2010, Civil Society Consultation, Vienna, Austria
- 7-9 July 2010, Consultation with WHO HIV Regional Advisers and Senior Management, Geneva, Switzerland
5-6 July 2010, Informal Community Consultation, Geneva, Switzerland
- 28-29 June 2010, Characterizing the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the Middle East and North Africa: time for strategic action, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
24 June 2010, Consultation with the Policy Coordination Committee of the UNDP/UNFPA/WHO/World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction, Geneva
23 June 2010, Consultation with UNAIDS Programme Coordinating Board, Geneva, Switzerland